Administrative Rules and Procedures to Implement Policy 410.02
TEACHERS: VOLUNTARY SICK LEAVE BANK
The Board establishes a voluntary sick leave bank for teachers beginning with the 1999-2000 school year. This program will be reviewed annually and will operate under the following guidelines:
1. Elkhorn teachers may contribute one (1) day (no more, no less) of accumulated sick leave, as of September 1 of current school year, to the sick leave bank. (Teachers, please note changes in item four and five below before deciding to contribute one day to the sick leave bank.)
2. The one (1) day contribution to the sick leave bank is voluntary and will be subtracted from the days accumulated by the individual teacher contributor. Record of the one (1) day contribution will be noted on the individual teacher’s October payroll voucher.
3. On or before September 1, teachers must request participation per the established district process. If not requested on or before September 1, the teacher is not eligible to participate.
4. Teachers who contribute one (1) day to the sick leave bank shall be eligible to withdraw up to seven (7) sick leave days from the sick leave bank; provided that they have exhausted their accumulated sick leave and personal leave; provided that there are sufficient days available in the sick leave bank; and provided that the sick leave is used only for the purpose described in the Negotiated Agreement, Page 2, Item VI; and provided that they have not withdrawn days from the sick leave bank during the previous school year.
5. Teachers who have withdrawn days from the sick leave bank in the previous school year and who have had a significant health related change of circumstances since the previous school year may appeal to the Superintendent for permission to participate in the sick leave bank. This appeal should take place prior to August 31.
6. Unused sick days in the sick leave bank at the end of the school year will not carry over to the next school year.
Adopted: August 1992
Revised: August 16, 1999
Revised: February 13, 2006
Revised: September 11, 2017