Policy 502.01

Resident Students

Education in the Elkhorn Public Schools shall be free to each student residing within the boundaries of the district, and who has intention of remaining there with a natural parent, legal guardian or other person having charge or control of such student. The burden of proof as to legal residence shall rest with the person claiming legal residence in the district.

A resident student not living with a natural parent or legal guardian will only be admitted if:

1. The student has an official written emancipation order from the court system, or

2. Written notification is provided by the student’s natural parent or legal guardian stating who will be the responsible adult for the student. The responsible adult must be a resident of the district, at least 21 years of age, and also provide written notification of responsibility of the student to the district.

Students whose residency in the district ceases during a school year may continue attending school in the district for the remainder of the school year with the written permission of the superintendent. Students who have attended the eleventh grade in the district, enrolled in the twelfth grade at the High School and whose parents or legal guardian move out of the district may be admitted to attend the High School if the student resides in the District and if written notification is provided as or described in (2) above.

Legal Reference:

Approved: September 12, 1996
Revised: April 10, 2006