Administrative Rules and Procedures to Implement Policy 604.03
Multicultural Education Program
The objectives of the Elkhorn Public Schools multicultural education program will be:
1. To select materials and methods that will eliminate bias and stereotypes in the district.
2. To conduct inservice programs as required for staff emphasizing multicultural approaches and perspectives.
3. To encourage all students to grow in self esteem while understanding and developing their academic potential.
4. To create opportunities for all students and staff to understand and respect the racial and cultural diversity and independence of all members of American society.
Procedures for infusion of multicultural education into the K-12 curriculum shall comply with state law and include activities which:
1. Affirm the culture, history and contributions of groups that shall include, but not be limited to, African Americans, Asian Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans.
2. Challenge and eliminate racism, prejudice, bigotry, discrimination and stereotyping based on race.
3. Value multiple cultural perspectives.
4. Provide all students with opportunities to view themselves in the educational environment in a positive manner on a continuing basis.
The superintendent shall annually at the regular January Board meeting report on the status of the district multicultural program.
Approved: December 9, 1996
Revised: August 14, 2006